Capturing instant messages

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Jul 17 21:45:49 EDT 2006

	I've been approached by a local business that has been advised that
they need to start capturing and archiving their instant messaging in
order to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley. The company is largely PC, but
has a significant number of Macs running OS X, too.

	Googling around quickly turns up IM Grabber for the PC, which would
seem to be just what they need. But there is no equivalent to be
found for OS X. So if anyone knows of any such product, please let me
know and there will be no need for the rest of this post.

	But assuming that there is no such product, would it be possible to
create something in Python, using the socket or a similar module?
They have a number of servers that provide NAT for each group of
machines; I was thinking that something on those servers could
capture all traffic on port 5190 and write it to disk. Is this
reasonable, or am I being too simplistic in my approach?

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com