Data access from multiple code modules

simon.hibbs at gmail.com simon.hibbs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 10:59:18 EDT 2006

Jeremy Jones wrote:

> What does main.py do?  Are you creating an instance of the gui thingy?
> If so, you could just pass DataObject into your gui thingy either into
> the constructor or to a setter once you create an instance of it.

It's a wxPython app. I created the GUI initialy using wxGlade which
gave me a small myapp.py script, a file containing the main application
frame (containing a listbook controll) and several files containing
panel classes. Each panel class contains controlls for performing
various operations on the data set (adding records, deleting them,
running various transformations). I can't say I understand how it all
works at a deep level, although I've been hacking it about quite
successfuly so far.

Presumably if I pass DataObject through to the Frame object, and from
there through to the Panel objects then presumably this will solve the
probelm? I guess it would be passed by reference so all the panels
would be working on the same data object?

Doh! How simple. Why didn't I think of that? I'm too used to procedural
scripts where you'd just put everything in a global data structure. I
know this is bad, but it's hard to get out of that mentality.

Many thanks,

Simon Hibbs

P.S. Regular reader of your blog on Oreillynet.