Python for Embedded Systems?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 16 06:14:04 EDT 2006

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
> This raises a good question.  Is there a need for python to change
> somewhat to work better in an embedded profile?

When I asked this question last on python-dev, there was exactly one
response, and that was "yes, it needs to change".

The natural question then is "in what way?". To this, the answer
was surprising: It needs better support for cross-compilation.
Apparently, cross-compiling Python is very painful, and I guess
cross-compiling distutils-based packages even more so.

Contributions in that direction are welcome.

Regards,
Martin