Windows vs. Linux

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Jul 31 10:43:09 EDT 2006

metaperl wrote:
> The reason I'm going with vmware is because I'm afraid that I will need
> to compile a C portiion of a Python module and that will not be a
> pretty picture under Windows... true or false?

Provided you have the correct compilers installed it is no harder compiling
C extensions under Windows than under Linux. The problem is getting the
correct toolchain installed. You could try the instructions in section A of
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyrexOnWindows

You only need to follow section B of that document if you want to use
Pyrex, but if you are planning on writing C extensions I strongly recommend
using Pyrex. Also, these days, you can use ctypes for many cases where you
used to have to compile a C extension.