Python newbie needs constructive suggestions

David G. Wonnacott davew at cs.haverford.edu
Sat Jul 22 08:10:30 EDT 2006

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my question about
anonymous functions with local variables, filling me in on

  e) do something else clever and Pythonic that I don't know about yet?

by pointing out that I can use (among other good things) lambda with
default arguments. That should suit my immediate needs well, since I
don't need to maintain state (or avoid maintaning state); I may also
look into closures (possibly anonymous ones?) and callable classes if
I need to go beyond this. And, of course, if the code is complex
enough, then one should give up the anonymous function and name it.

Rest assured that I will _not_ be attempting to write "let" in Python
and use it.

It looks like Python may be every much as big an improvement over C++
as I had hoped.

Dave Wonnacott