Which Pyton Book For Newbies?

hanumizzle at gmail.com hanumizzle at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 20:31:43 EDT 2006

W. D. Allen wrote:
> I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
> suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
> programming in Basic but not in Python.
>
> I have two questions:
>  1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
>  2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?

I am a fairly experienced programmer and I have been reading Dive Into
Python. If you have prior experience, you may find it very
satisfactory. (But see a recent thread I started which points out a few
small mistakes...nothing too bad over all.) If you have less
programming experience, you may wish to look at Byte of Python. The
great thing about Python is that there is a ton of online material to
peruse...