What is a type error?

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Tue Jul 11 11:43:48 EDT 2006

David Hopwood <david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't think that placing too much emphasis on any individual example is
> the right way of thinking about this. What matters is that, over the range
> of typical programs written in the language, the value of the increased
> confidence in program correctness outweighs the effort involved in both
> adding annotations, and understanding whether any remaining run-time checks
> are guaranteed to succeed.

Are you really that short on people to disagree with?

In this particular branch of this thread, we were discussing George's
objection that it would be ridiculous for a type system to check that a
variable should be greater than 18.  There is no such thing as placing
too much emphasis on what we were actually discussing.  If you want to
discuss something else, feel free to post about it.  Why does it bother
you that I'm considering George's point?

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation