testing units in a specific order?

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Jan 9 10:02:03 EST 2006

Hi Michele!

Michele Simionato wrote:
> This looks new. Can you comment on how utestconvert.py work and how
> reliable is it?

It is rather old, but was never advertised much. PyPy used it to convert
all its unit tests from unittests to py.test, when py.test was finished.
The idea is quite simple, the script does a stupid rewrite of the
typical unittest-syntax to py.test syntax:

self.assertEqual(x, y) --> assert x == y
self.assert_(some_expression) --> assert some_expression

and so on. It works very well in "regular" unittest code that does not
use any special unittests extensions. It might break for more
complicated cases but (especially custom unittest extensions), as I
said, it worked well with PyPy's unittests (which are quite many).

In general, I think that py.test will at one point grow a collector for
doctest/unittest test cases. We plan to do that since quite some time
now (it is even part an issue in our tracker) but we currently don't
have the resources to actually do so. Contributions are of course
welcome ;-)

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich Bolz