Python vs C for a mail server

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 00:04:20 EST 2006

Donn Cave <donn at drizzle.com> wrote:

> Quoth aleax at mail.comcast.net (Alex Martelli):
> | ...  Therefore,
> | if the inability to verify that a function named 'foobar' is in fact
> | never called anywhere is a weakness, it's a weakness shared by all of
> | these languages.  The originator of this thread appeared to assume that
> | it was a weakness of Python and not of C++...
>
> If we give him credit for having some idea of what he's talking about,
> then we could perhaps read his "encourages" as "makes trivially easy."
> These two languages are in such different levels with introspection
> that it seems kind of disingenuous to me to make this argument, frankly.

I disagree with you, although my disagreement may be partly due to the
fact that lately I've dealt mostly with C++ programmers who know
*perfectly well* every subtle nuance of the language, just as much as I
do it not even more -- Matt Austern and the like.  Last time I was a C++
guru (about 7 years ago) that wasn't the case, but then, I wasn't Uber
Technical Lead for Google then;-).

Alex