Strange python behavior with modules on an emt64 box

Joshua Luben jluben at exelixis.com
Fri Jan 20 17:17:24 EST 2006

I thought I would post this here first before seeking more experienced
ears for this particular strangness.

I have Python 2.4.2 installed from source on a dual processor dell
server. These are x86_64 processors (verified by /bin/arch) (aka emt64
extensions).

uname -a gives
Linux eps-linuxserv3 2.6.5-7.244-smp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The flavor of Linux is 64 bit SUSE SLES 9 with the latest updates.

Now for the strangeness. I'm using DCOracle2 (can't use anything else,
as this is the corporate standard) also compiled from source. When
calling executemany() when any parameter is of type int, I get a
OverflowError. I turned on debug traces in DCOracle2; this indicated
that PyArg_ParseTuple() was returning sizeof(int) = 4 bytes. DCOracle2
is compiled such that sizeof(int) = 8 bytes.

Python itself gives,

python -c "import sys; print sys.maxint"
9223372036854775807

Therefore, indicating that the size of int is 8 bytes.

So I'll go out on a limb here and assume that this is a python
problem...but I don't know where to take it...

Josh

This email (including any attachments) may contain material that is confidential and privileged and is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Exelixis, Inc. reserves the right, to the extent and under circumstances permitted by applicable law, to retain, monitor and intercept e-mail messages to and from its systems.