Calling GPL code from a Python application

Wed Jan 4 16:38:08 EST 2006

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 21:53:32 +1100, Tim Churches wrote:

>> Firstly, perhaps you could use a mail/news client that correctly limits
>> lines to (say) 72 characters, that would make it a lot easier to read your
>> comments.
>
> Sorry, was using the Optus webmail client which does not do line
> wrapping - please complain to them.

Me not being an Optus customer, no. You being an Optus customer, and
you choosing to use their webmail client, you should complain to them
instead of fobbing the job off to someone who will absolutely be ignored.

>> Secondly, perhaps you should consider that dynamically linking to a
>> work is creating a derivative work, which most certainly falls under
>> the "modification" clause.

[snip]

> I am sorry, but dynamic linking at run-time does not, by any stretch of
> the imagination, correspond to the definition of "derivative work"
> above.

I don't have to stretch my imagination even the tiniest bit to see why
program Foo (consisting of code X linked to code Y) is obviously derived
from program Bar consisting of code X on its own.

--
Steven.