how do "real" python programmers work?

sandravandale at yahoo.com sandravandale at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 20:21:35 EST 2006

I'm not an experienced python programmer, but I come from a C++
background as well. I like to code in Komodo ($29 for the personal
edition) and that lets me have multiple python files opened in tabs,
and multiple interpreters opened below, since the interpreter is
command based, it doesn't have to be very tall, and I find this works
great (the debugging windows also appear down at the bottom, which is
convienient. The debugger alone is worth the $29, within a week or two
of serious development and you've paid for the software in terms of
saved time.) Komodo runs on windows and linux.

This leaves my second screen free, where I keep all my web browsers,
with comp.lang.python, gmail, and all the documentation I need.

I also keep a macros.py file in a place where it's in the python path,
and keep it open in Komodo. Anything I find myself typing over and over
in the interpreters, I simply make into a function in the macros file
and then reload the macros module and call it. I work with mod_python a
lot, so I have a macro that reads in the last 10 lines or so of the
apache error log, removes extraneous information and prints them, huge
timesaver.

-Sandra