Arithmetic sequences in Python

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Thu Jan 19 02:50:26 EST 2006

Op 2006-01-19, Alex Martelli schreef <aleax at mail.comcast.net>:

>> What should list(list(1,2,3)) be?  Should "list" really work
>> completely differently depending on whether it has a single arg or
>> multiple args?
>
> It works just fine for max and min, why should list be different?

Well IMO it works fine for max and min because people rarely want
the minimum or maximum over a sequence of tuples or lists.

But how would you make the following list: [(1,3)]

As far as I understand that would have to become:

   list(((1,3),))

And [[3]] would have to become:

   list((list((3,)),))

In my opinion the bracket notation wins the clarity contest
handsdown in this case and IMO these cases occure frequently
enough.

--
Antoon Pardon