How do I tell if I'm running in the PyWin interpreter?

Charles Krug cdkrug at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 23:32:29 EST 2006

On 2006-01-28, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:

>> As the comment says, when I run this under Python Win, I get an (pretty
>> sure) Tkinter interface, not a command line, and I don't get my
>> EOFError when I expect to.
>
> When do you expect to get an EOFError? The only way I get an EOFError is
> if I explicitly hit Ctrl-D while raw_input is running. When do you expect
> to get it? Have you tried Ctrl-Z under Windows?

That's exactly how I use it everywhere else.  Type until you're done
then hit <Ctrl-D>

The problem is only when running under the PyWin IDE . . I'd been using
this for months under Idle and every place else I needed it.

The problem is that PyWin doesn't give you a raw command line with in
response to raw_input, but gives you a text entry box and a nice
OK-Cancel yada yada interface that silently eats my EOF.

I'd like to have a single tool I can use everywhere.  So far as I can
tell, that means I have to detect the PyWin IDE and handle it
separately on initialization so I get a real raw input and not the
redefined Tkinter version.