Using non-ascii symbols

Ivan Voras ivoras at __yahoo__.com_
Fri Jan 27 15:36:55 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> On OS X,
>
> ≤ is Alt-,
> ≥ is Alt-.
> ≠ is Alt-=

Thumbs up on the unicode idea, but national keyboards (i.e. non-english)
have already used almost every possible
not-strictly-defined-in-EN-keyboards combination of keys for their own
characters. In particular, the key combinations above are reprogrammed
to something else in my language/keyboard.

But, the idea that Python could be made ready for when the keyboards and
editors start supporting such characters is a good one (i.e. keep both
<= and ≤ for several decades).

It's not a far-out idea. I stumbled about a year ago on a programming
language that INSISTED on unicode characters like ≤ as well as the rest
of mathematical/logical symbols; I don't remember its name but the
source code with characters like that looked absolutely beautiful. I
suppose that one day, when unicode becomes more used than ascii7, "old"
code like current C and python will be considered ugly and unelegant in
appearance :)