New Python.org website ?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Jan 14 18:46:00 EST 2006

Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> writes:
>> In particular, creating a good-looking design that remains readable in
>> all possible browser configurations is impossible. Getting one that is
>> readable in all reasonable browser configurations is hard, unless you
>> make your definition of "reasonable" very narrow.
> Nah, it's very simple, if you can let go of the wrong-headed notion
> that the web is just like print media.

Never had it. Gave up trying to drive it out of peoples heads over a
decade ago.

> Of course that means you're unlikely to win any design awards, or
> even get a lot of commecnts about how spiffy your web site looks,
> because all the design geeks will judge you by the inapproriate
> standards of print media.

Well, if you lower the defintion of "good-looking design" far enough,
it's simple. Those design awards don't go to sites that I consider
good-looking, though. Their standards seem to be driven by advertising
concerns, and not readability or usability.

If you ignore the designed-for-advertising goals, there's a lot of
good information about design to be had from the print media. While
some of it is totally inappropriate on the WWW (like ratios of page
dimensions), a lot of it is still applicable (like choosing coherent
font sets). If you look, you'll even find advice on how to pick fonts
for low-resolution output devices.

     <mike