pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Jan 5 22:51:43 EST 2006

Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> suggests:
> You may want to try out ipython (the current release candidate from
> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/, which has many improvements on this
> front).  The %pdb magic will trigger automatic activation of pdb at any
> uncaught exception, and '%run -d' will run your script under the control of
> pdb, without any modifications to your source necessary.

I really like ipython. Many thanks for writing it!

And, as you say, it does have many many useful improvements over
python's default interpreter shell, including the ability to call the
debugger minimal fuss.

But ipython it doesn't obviate the need for a better or more complete
or more one that more closely follows conventional debugger command
syntax.