Help me in this please--is Python the answer?

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Thu Jan 12 11:20:10 EST 2006

Ray wrote:

(snip)
> But then on the other hand, there is a manpower problem--it's damn easy
> to find a Java programmer (although the quality that you get is a
> different matter). Python programmers are more difficult.

Possibly - but if a programmer is not able to pick on Python in a matter
of days, then it's a bad programmer that won't be of any help whatever
the language. So in fact, choosing Python may help you get better
programmers !-)

>>If I were you I'd concentrate on creating a website that actually
>>works.  Your chances of creating a website that needs to scale to be
>>'heavyweight' are very slim.  If you manage to get to that point then
>>you can start worrying about how to cope with all the money that's
>>rolling in ;)
>

> You know what, this is a very good point :))
>

>>AFAIAA Python scales better than Java as any performance critical
>>parts can be easily rewritten in C.  To spend too much time worrying
>>over it is premature optimisation though.
>

> Yes, but this is more of a web application though--something that I've
> never developed in Python before, so... I'll be evaluating Django
> shortly--let me see how it compares to Tomcat.

You may also want to have a look at turbogears (roughly similar to
Django, but probably much more flexible)

My 2 cents
--
bruno desthuilliers