beta.python.org content

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 27 08:24:36 EST 2006

Paddy wrote:
> I find it much better than the current site, thank you!
>
> Whilst reading, http://beta.python.org/about/ I had some slight
> niggles.
> What do you think about the following changes?
>
> About Python
>
> Python is an agile programming language often compared to Tcl, Perl,
> Ruby, Scheme or Java. While it has much in common with them it also has
> unique features that set it apart.
>
>         * remarkable power with very clear syntax
>         * fully modular, with modules in individual files,
>           or packages: a hierarchical arrangement of modules
>           for larger projects.
>         * intuitive object orientation, but also supports a
>           functional style of programming too.
>         * exception-based error handling
>         * very high level dynamic data types that are easy to use.
>         * interfaces to many system calls and libraries
>         * access to multiple GUI toolkits (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC,
> wxWidgets)
>         * extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ or Python
>         * embeddable within applications needing a scripting interface

I decided to go with:

Python is an agile programming language often compared to Tcl, Perl,
Ruby, Scheme or Java.
While it has much in common with them it also has unique features that
set it apart.

   * remarkable power with very clear syntax
   * full modularity, supporting hierarchical packages
   * intuitive object orientation
   * natural expression of procedural code
   * exception-based error handling
   * very high level dynamic data types
   * interfaces to many system calls and libraries
   * access to multiple GUI toolkits (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC, wxWidgets)
   * extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ or Python
   * embeddable within applications needing a scripting interface

Thanks for your remarks. All readers please note we are looking for
editors for this stuff!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119