Spelling mistakes!

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Jan 7 00:42:33 EST 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:51:22 -0600
skip at pobox.com wrote:
>     >> > Duh. Next time I use a dictionary before freezing
>     >an API!
>
>     >> Can you please explain what you mean by that? Use a
>     >dictionary how?
>
>     Paul> Use a dictionary by looking up words in it to
>     check the spelling.
>
> I think the most widely spread API misspelling must be
> "referer", as in the HTTP_REFERER header in the HTTP spec:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer
>
> In fact, googling for "referer" and "referrer" reports a
> similar number of hits, unlike most misspellings.

You know, I almost mentioned that myself. Drives me crazy.

One thing I've figured out is that using the full spelling
of a word instead of groovy programmer abbreviations makes
it a lot easier to remember the names of things.  Of course,
like everything, that can be taken too far, so I still use
things like "bkg_clr" too.  Old habits are hard to break.