Spelling mistakes!

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Jan 12 23:30:26 EST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:57:06 +0000
Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The ideal of "don't repeat yourself" seems to get
> > nudged out by "repeat yourself exactly once" when it's
> > really important to get it right. ;-)
> >
> I suppose most readers aren't old enough to remember the
> punch card  days, when you would hand your work in on
> coding sheets to the punch  room and it would be punched
> onto cards using huge machines (anyone  remember the 026
> and 029 punches?).

Punch cards were still in use for students at The University
of Texas as late as 1986, so I'm old enough to remember.
(Yes, the CS department had terminals and editors, but some
classes still required cards -- I guess it was supposed to
"build character" ;-)).  However, I wasn't a CS student, so
I never had to use one. ;-)  We had VT-220 terminals in the
Astronomy computer lab, which is where I first learned to
use Unix, Fortran, and other fun things. :-)