Python module for LX200 telescope command set

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sun Jan 29 22:26:40 EST 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:25:43 -0800
RayS <rays at blue-cove.com> wrote:
(about LX200 module)

Sounds interesting, but I don't actually know what an LX200
is. I considered buying one of the Meade computer controlled
telescopes (there is a very inexpensive one that has been
marketed through Walmart. Ordinarily, I would steer clear of
a "department store telescope", but I was intrigued that
they were selling a name brand telescope).

But the box is very uninformative -- it seems as if there's
some kind of fixed catalog of objects that the scope will
find, with no way to just enter coordinates. It seemed like
maybe it would be *too* automated.  But if in fact it's
possible to interface to one of these with a little Python,
that would make things a lot different. Do they have some
kind of serial or USB port on them?

Of course, you may be talking about an entirely different
telescope!

But if there were a way to do this, I would definitely be
interested in testing out your module.  I used to be a
professional Astronomer, but I really have very little
experience as an amateur, and I'm a bit clumsy with small
telescopes (I was really spoiled by big observatory scopes
where you just punch in coordinates and make sure the
counterweight doesn't smack you in the head. ;-)). Now that
I'm out of it, though, I would like to be able to do some
types of amateur observing for fun (and for my kids).

Cheers,
Terry