On Numbers

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Sat Jan 14 20:00:25 EST 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:18:12 -0500,
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> ...  the proposed change doesn't really fix anything, it just gives
> different wrong behavior ...

:-)

> To get started on that, I want to consider how other languages with
> rich numeric type systems model them. I'm going to look at a couple of
> languages in the LISP family. I'd like to solicit the community for
> the names of languages (and pointers to references, if possible!) with
> a coherent view of a rich set of numeric types.

Go right to the top, Common Lisp.

Seek out a paper or on-line copy of Guy L. Steele's _Common Lisp The
Language_, 2nd edition.  A quick google search says that the "master"
online copy at CMU is not working correctly right now.

Or start at <http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html> and
click to Chapter 12, <http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/chap-12.html>.

Regards,
Dan