New Python.org website ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 19 07:16:54 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote

> As you indicated, there are other priorities just at the moment.

you're complaining about the lack of manpower, and still think that lowering
the threshold for contributions is not a priority ?  at this point, this should
be your *only* priority.

I mean, getting this from a long-time python contributor that decided to
help out

    My first attempt ended almost immediately.  Too much software
    to download and install for anything like casual use.

should be a rather strong indicator that the project isn't on the right track.

(and it sure isn't the only indicator; I still claim that the analysis is flawed,
and that the www.python.org front-page asset shouldn't be reserved for a
target audience that doesn't exist.  but that's a separate problem; if you
solve the threshold problem, we can deal with that later.  if you don't, we
might get stuck with the new design for as long as we've had the old one).

> Once the new documentation site is up and running, that is :-)

that's an interesting comparision: it took me about 30 minutes to convert
10+ megabytes of reference material into a usable (X)HTML infoset (that
is, with isolated content and structural information derived from the source
material), and a few hours to get old source->new source->render tool-
chain to a state where most conversion bugs turns out to be typos in the
original documents (aka "the 80% of the remaining 20%" level).

if converting the old content is and has been the biggest problem in the
beta.python.org project, it seems to me as if you might not be doing things
in the easiest possible way...

</F>