file_name_fixer.py

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Wed Jan 25 04:00:33 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> or you can use a more well-suited function:
>
>     # replace runs of _ and . with a single character
>     newname = re.sub("_+", "_", newname)
>     newname = re.sub("\.+", ".", newname)

You know, I really must sit down and learn how to use
reg exes one of these days. But somehow, every time I
try, I get the feeling that the work required to learn
to use them effectively is infinitely greater than the
work required to re-invent the wheel every time.

*wink*

> or, slightly more obscure:
>
>     newname = re.sub("([_.])\\1+", "\\1", newname)

_Slightly_?

--
Steven.