Copy an Object (Again?)

Ernst Noch enoch at gmx.net
Fri Jan 6 13:22:49 EST 2006

KraftDiner wrote:
> I'm having trouble getting a copy of and object... (a deep copy)
>
> I'm writing a method that creates a mirror image of an object (on
> screen)
> In order to do this i need to get a copy of the object and then modify
> some
> of its attributes.
>
> I tried:
> objs = myListOfObjects
> for obj in objs:
>    if obj.flag:
>       newObject = copy.deepcopy(obj)
>       newObject.mirror()
>       myListOfObjects.append(newObject)
>
> That doesn't seem to work.. the new object seems to disapear from
> existance.
> I'm wondering if its a bug in my application or if this is my shallow
> understanding of the language.
>
> TIA
> B.

Another remark, are you sure that your "for obj in objs" doesn't get you
into an infinite loop?
If myListOfObjects is a normal list, your assignment

objs = myListofObjects

doesn't make a copy of the list:

 >>> MyListOfNumbers = [1,2,3,4]
 >>> numbs = MyListOfNumbers
 >>> MyListOfNumbers.append(5)
 >>> numbs
[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

If anything, that makes your alorithm hard to read, because you are
iterating over a list while appending to it.