Calling GPL code from a Python application

Ernst Noch enoch at gmx.net
Wed Jan 4 05:01:20 EST 2006

Heiko Wundram wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
>
>>Given that Google has been using this fact extensively, and
>>they have not been sued over it, I think it's a fairly
>>clearly established interpretation, whether it is popular or
>>not (but of course it's not a legal precedent until somebody
>>does sue and loses).
>

> This is not what the general interpretation of the GPL seems to be with
> TrollTech and several other companies. They specifically state that even
> when you develop inhouse software with GPL-libraries (Qt in the former
> case), you are required to release the code of the application under the
> GPL.

This is not true, and a often misunderstood issue w.r.t. to Trolltech/QT.

 From the FAQ:

Entry number: 123 - I want to dual license my software too! That means I
can use the Open Source edition for development, right?

"""
No. In order to write software that will be sold or licensed
commercially, in addition to open source, all of your programmers will
need a commercial license from the outset of the development phase.

If you use the Open Source edition of Qt, you can only publish the
software under the GPL. Trolltech's commercial license terms do not
allow you to develop any proprietary software using the Open Source edition.
"""

What happens is that the Commercial License prohibits that it is
"transfered" to software developed with the GPL Version.