Numarray, numeric, NumPy, scpy_core ??!!

J jstier at cs.uvic.ca
Fri Jan 20 19:29:20 EST 2006

Hi

I hope the title of this message indicates my question. I am looking
for basic
array functionality in Python and it turns out that there are all these
packages which
are somehow related. Some are allegedly discontinued but still seem to
get updated. Could we start a discussion about which package will or
may or should survive ?

I started to use numarray, but I have a bug that I just cannot find a
solution for, so I started
to look around again. Basically I want to provide scripting support to
a graphics engine. All the
matrices and vectors are in C++ and all I want to do is provide an
interface to python. As a matter of fact, all of the matrix
multiplication etc, could remain in the native C++ code, but I need a
way to extend the python language with the array data type and somehow
intercept operator calls such as *,+,- ....

How is that done in the current libraries... Thx for any help.

Cheers
Jochen