creating dictionarie names, using variables?

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Thu Jan 12 06:33:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:00:53 -0700,
"Livin" <livin at cox.net> wrote:

> Are you saying that each child dictionary actually has its own 'key',
> not just the items within it?

I don't quite understand "its own 'key'."

There is a main dictionary.  The keys come from replacing spaces with
plusses in item[5].  The values are another dictionary.  The keys of
this other dictionary are the strings 'Group', 'Status', etc.  The
values of this other dictionary are item[2], item[3], etc.

> The goal is to create a dictionary with many dictionaries in it.

>  - each child dictionary will hold a single 'device' and its related
> attributes.

Agreed.  Call this the parent dictionary.  I called it devDict.

>  - I want to name the child dictionaries the same as their device name
> so it is easy to call them from within the dictionary.

The names of the child dictionaries exist as keys in the parend
dictionary.

>  - also, they dictionary will be dynamic, thus the # of devices is
> always changing so they need to be created on-the-fly.

Yes, child dictionaries can be created on the fly, and be manipulated
and managed within the parent dictionary.

HTH,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers