Python Scripts to logon to websites

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jan 11 18:43:03 EST 2006

BartlebyScrivener wrote:
>>but googling for "basic authentication" and
>>maybe "realm" and/or "host" will find you other sites with less
>>technically detailed material.
>
> This looks promising, but it'll take me a week to understand it :)
>
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/authentication.shtm

(Minor typo... needs an extra "l" on the end:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/authentication.shtml
)

By the way, note that neither basic auth nor digest auth provide any
real security, and in fact with basic auth the userid and password are
sent *in cleartext*.  For any serious production site these techniques
should probably not be used without additional security measures in
place, such as HTTPS encryption.

-Peter