batch tiff to jpeg conversion script

Martin Miller ggrp1.20.martineau at dfgh.net
Thu Jan 12 14:45:01 EST 2006

rtilley at vt.edu wrote:
> Just curious... is PhotoShop _really_ recursive? We have dozens of
> levels of sub-folders where the pics have been sorted and thousands of
> pics. That's one reason I used os.walk()

Yes, in the sense that there is an "Include All Subfolders" option for
batch operation source files that recursively locates input files.
However, at least in the version I have (CS), there is no obvious way
to get it to recreate the input folder hierarchy with a different root
folder specified as the destination (all the output files get put in
single folder specified) -- something that could be fairly easily
accomplished using a Python script.

Since in this case you are doing file *conversions*, the output files
will have a different extension than the orginals, and can therefore
exist in the same folders (assuming there's enough disk space).  This
makes it possible to record a "Save As" command in the Action which to
simply save the converted image back into the same folder as the
orginal in a different format, thus preserving the file & folder
layout.

Sorry, but I feel any more detail on the process would be getting way
too off-topic for this newsgroup.  Feel free to contact me directly if
you would like to discuss in more detail how to do this sort of thing
from within Photoshop.

Best,
-Martin