An app without GUI

jmdeschamps at gmail.com jmdeschamps at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:01:09 EST 2006

Daniel Crespo wrote:
> Hello to all,
>
> I have to build a server app without GUI. This app must be an xml-rpc
> server, so it has to be up all the time. I would control it through the
> xml-rpc port from a web interface using php, sending parameters to
> defined xml-rpc functions for running certain processes, like viewing
> current connections, restart it or shutting it down, for example.
>
> Actually, I have it implemented with wxPython. The GUI controls when
> the xml-rpc server is running, so when I close the GUI, so does the
> server and all the dependent threads.
>
> I want to do something like the MainLoop(), but without GUI. I can sit
> down and build all this stuff, but I would like to know if someone had
> passed through this. Any tips?
>
> Thanks
>
> Daniel
here is complete example - some words in french
note: this will open a dos box for std IO
#*********************************************************************************
# -*- encoding: iso-8859-1 -*-
import os
import SimpleXMLRPCServer
import xmlrpclib

class mainServeur(object):
	""" going to be the servicing object"""
	def __init__(self):
		pass

	def testServeur(self):
		return "i am a server"

monPort = 4089 # whatever
server = SimpleXMLRPCServer.SimpleXMLRPCServer(("127.0.0.1", monPort))

def kill():
	global quit
	quit = 1
	return "i am a dying server"

# Globales
quit = 0
activeController= mainServeur()

server.register_instance(activeController)
server.register_function(kill)

#Go into the main listener loop
print "llistening on port ",monPort
while not quit :