Spelling mistakes!

Xavier Morel xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Mon Jan 9 09:49:08 EST 2006

Antoon Pardon wrote:
> I don't think unit tests are that helpful in this case.
> Unit tests help you in finding out there is a bug, they
> don't help that much in tracking down a bug.
>
> I for some reason a person is reading over the difference
> between sumLongName and someLongName and doesn't notice
> the different spelling in his source a unit test won't
> be of much help.

Since
1- The unit test will obviously fail in this case, telling you in which
code unit the issue is
2- Unit Test favor extremely modular coding with very short increments
(as a somewhat extreme example, Robert Martin gets nervous if his test
suites don't validate the code every 5 minutes, you usually don't write
200 lines and their unit tests in 5 minutes)

We can deduce that unit testing will detect the typo extremely early and
that the field of research will span about 5 to 10 lines, making the
tracking quite easy to perform.