OT: Degrees as barriers to entry [was Re: - E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF]

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Jan 3 23:09:34 EST 2006

[much stuff deleted that I mostly agree with to get at an interesting
chunk of disagreement]

In article <pan.2006.01.04.01.33.25.176615 at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au>,
Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> wrote:

>By contrast, today's professional bodies like law, medicine etc. have
>independent standards of skill that must be met. I don't wish to deny
>that knowing the right people can help smooth the procedure of becoming
>a doctor, lawyer, etc., but failing to have an uncle who is a lawyer is no
>barrier to becoming a lawyer, provided you can pass the bar exam. That is
>very different from the guild system.

Unfortunately, this isn't quite true.  Medicine and law both require the
passing of an apprenticeship, so there's still some room for favoritism
and blackballing.

"Given that C++ has pointers and typecasts, it's really hard to have a
serious conversation about type safety with a C++ programmer and keep a
straight face.  It's kind of like having a guy who juggles chainsaws
wearing body armor arguing with a guy who juggles rubber chickens wearing
a T-shirt about who's in more danger."  --Roy Smith