Read from Serial Port

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 20 22:32:30 EST 2006

Casey Bralla wrote:
> I'd like to read ASCII data from a serial port, but (once again) I'm having
> trouble getting started.  (Can't seem to find the basic level of docs to
> get going <sigh>)
>
> I'd like to use only standard "built-in" modules if possible.
>
> Could somebody offer a simple code-snippet to get me started reading from a
> serial port?

While it isn't built in, the standard solution to these problems is the
excellent "pyserial" module.

Google is your friend, and since pyserial is the first hit on a search
for "python serial port" I would recommend you remember that in future
... that's why there's no URL in this message : Googling yourself will
help the lesson sink in.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119