Tomcat username and password2

Michael Oliver ollie at alariussystems.com
Fri Jan 13 19:19:44 EST 2006

Still trying to get python to access my local tomcat secured with the tomcat
realm

import urllib2

 handler = urllib2.HTTPBasicAuthHandler()
 handler.add_password(None,
     'localhost:8080/manager/html', 'root', 'root')

 opener = urllib2.build_opener(handler)
 urllib2.install_opener(opener)

 try:
     f = urllib2.urlopen( 'http://localhost:8080/manager/html' )
 except urllib2.HTTPError, e:
     if e.code == 401:
         print 'not authorized'
     elif e.code == 404:
         print 'not found'
     elif e.code == 503:
         print 'service unavailable'
     else:
         print 'unknown error: '
 else:
     print 'success'
     for line in f:
         print line,

[Mike Oliver>>] this returns 'not authorized' no matter what I put in for
'realm' or 'host' to the add_password() method.  I have tried None, 'tomcat'
for realm and 'localhost' and about every combination I can think of for
'host' if I go to that URL with a browser it asks for username and password
as above and that works.  I can access it with code from PHP or Java just
fine.