Microsoft IronPython?

Ray ray_usenet at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 01:28:29 EST 2006

Luis M. González wrote:
> > IronPython as it is now is already slightly different from CPython
> > isn't it? Because it has to capture features of CLR languages that are
> > not in Python (such as using generic containers).
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure what you mean by "capture features of CLR".
> I think Ironpython is a faithful implementation of python but, of
> course, it's aimed at allowing programmers to take advantage of the
> framework, it's classes and components.
> If not, there would be no reason to port Python to .Net.
> Don't you think?

Oh, yeah, that's undoubtedly true. What I was referring to were things
such as using [] for generic, that doesn't exist in current CPython
does it?

Regardless, I think it doesn't matter much because once you use .NET
libraries you are kinda tied to IronPython anyway--but if Python as a
language can be picked up by a broader audience due to IP I'm very
happy :)