python coding contest

Michael Spencer mahs at telcopartners.com
Sun Jan 1 19:49:12 EST 2006

Claudio Grondi wrote:
> ...I analysed the outcome of it and have
> come to the conclusion, that there were two major factors which
> contributed to squeezing of code:
>
>    (1). usage of available variants for coding of the same thing
>    (2). sqeezing the size of used numeric and string literals

...not only squeezing the size of the literals, but the combined size of the
compressed data and the code to expand it.  In this respect it turned out to be
a surprisingly rewarding challenge, and a nice reinforcement of the Pythonic
mantra of seeking performance gains by optimizing algorithms.

Michael