textvariable help

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Sat Jan 28 15:44:04 EST 2006

swisscheese wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. With your reply and another tutorial I get
> it now. I needed "self.Rows = ..." in the constructor. I find myself
> wasting a lot of time with poor python docs.

I have found the standard library documentation amazingly well written:

http://www.python.org/doc/

> Whatever time Python is
> supposed to save I'm losing so far in looking up things. I suppose that
> will change as I get past the learning curve.

Python will save you a lot of time when you come back to your code 6
months later and when you begin to get some competence at the more
esoteric aspects of python, like generators, closures, and magic methods.

> Are you aware of any good
> docs on python that make it easy to find things?

It depends on your task. Jumping into GUI programming without a solid
grasp of the language you are writing in can be frustrating. In fact
jumping into GUI programming at all can be frustrating.

I learnt from Learning Python by O'Reilly. Beyond that I highly
recommend Python Programming. I especially recommend chapters 2, 3, 6,
7, and 8 of the latter. If you have the time, try to get through as much
of both of those as you can. Beyond that, you may want to keep a copy of
Python in a Nutshell by your keyboard. I use the classic Python
Essential Reference, which is now pretty dated.

If you have not worked through a tutorial on python basics, you should
really stop what you are doing and spend a few hours doing that. It will
make you much more pleased with the language.

James