OT: excellent book on information theory

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jan 20 23:07:07 EST 2006

On 2006-01-21, Paul Rubin <http> wrote:

>> The next thing you know, there are going to be American
>> translations of Jane Austen where a girl says to her sister
>> "dude, he is such a hottie!" and she replies "oh my god, for
>> sure!"
>
> I actually heard that the US film version of Pride and Prejudice
> finished with a treacly happy-ending scene (unlike other countries'
> versions, and the book).  I haven't confirmed this.

It does. The movie ends with a scene that reminded me very much
of the end of John Hughes' "Sixteen Candles"[1] where the
couple (Elizibeth and Darcy) are sitting there at night in a
romantic setting looking at each other all googly-eyed saying
sweet things and then there's a nice long kiss.  Very un-Austen
I thought.

IMO, it should have ended with the scene where Mr. Bennett said
to Mrs. Bennet that should any more young men come to propose
to his daughters to show them in.  Not really directly out of
the book, but it had the right feel to it.  I suppose if you
want to be more true to the book, you'd have to have a narrator
do a sort of general summing-up like Austen does in the last
chapter, but it would have been awkward to introduce a narrator
at that point.

[1] Not that I'm dissing "Sixteen Candles".  I actally like that
    movie quite a bit, but it's not pretending to be Jane Austen.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I am a jelly donut. I
                                  at               am a jelly donut.