Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 18 07:49:07 EST 2006

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Bengt Richter wrote:
>
>>Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
>>is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
>>embarrassment (assuming you care ;-).
>>If your friends won't tell you, who will ;-)
>>

> Making grammatical errors in the subject of a post on gramamtical
> errors must be embarrasing. ;-)

Almost as *embarrassing* as making two spelling errors in one sentence
complaining about grammatical errors (though I'll charitably accept the
second one as a typo, and gladly hold my hands up to being a dreadful
committer of the typographical error myself). What grammatical errors
were you trying to point out, by the way?

>>Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning
>>to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong ;-)
>>
>>OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se?
>>E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that
>>as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it's first letter is "i" ? ;-)
>>And how many "it"s (?) are there in the previous sentence?
>>

> Don't recall an answer to this one in "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
>
> The first one is clearer :
>
>     "it"'s first letter is "i"

Best of all is to eschew the unknown and adopt a phrasing that gives an
unambiguously correct answer: 'The first letter of "it" is "i"'.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119