Spiritual Programming (OT, but Python-inspired)

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Wed Jan 4 08:57:28 EST 2006

>U> While preparing a Python411 podcast about classes and OOP, my mind
>U> wondered far afield. I found myself constructing an extended metaphor
>U> or analogy between the way programs are organized and certain
>U> philosophical ideas. So, going where my better angels dare not, here is
>U> the forbidden fruit of my noodling:

>U> Spiritual Programming:

>U> It seems to me that, if anything of a person survives death in any way,
>U> it must do so in some way very different from that way in which we
>U> exist now.

>U> For now, we live in a  temporal world, and once our body and brain
>U> ceases to function, then our mind can no longer function in this
>U> temporal world, and we cease to exist in this temporal world
[snip]

If you have a program running on a computer and the thing is too old to
survive then you could dump its state to another computer and continue
running there. Or you could archive the state for some time and resume it
when it is convenient.

I imagine that something similar would be possible with my state of mind.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org