Calling GPL code from a Python application

Tue Jan 3 22:32:03 EST 2006

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:36:31 -0800, Michel Sanner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> One of the greatest feature of Python in my opinion is the way the
> interpreter can be used to integrate a wide variety of
> software packages by dynamically linking them.  This approach has been
> extremely successful for us so far but now I run
> into a license nightmare.

Various other people on the newsgroup have given varying advice. I can
only say: Why are you asking us? If you want legal advice, speak to a
lawyer.

At the very least, the best (if not only) canonical source of the GPL's
intention is gnu.org, not random googling for random thoughts by random
people, many of whom have bees in their bonnet about what they
(mis)understand the GPL to say.

In particular:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

[quote]

Q: If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean
that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?