pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Sun Jan 15 19:32:48 EST 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 05.01.2006, 15:03 -0800 schrieb rurpy at yahoo.com:

I know this sounds like brutal, but I've been developing Python code for
a decade now, and I've almost never used pdb.py. OTOH I also use gdb
only for "bt" from a core file.

Sorry to sound harsh, I do not consider manually stepping through a
program a costeffective way of debugging. Writting asserts,
instrumentisation, automatic debuggers and tracers are usually much
better spent money.

Consider how complicated it is to apply gdb or pdb say to a CGI program,
running in an embedded chroot environment?

Actually, for many things, python -i is more then enough to test and
debug code interactivly. Consider writing a settrace function, that
catches any data and control flow you might be interested.

Andreas