os.unlink() AND win32api.DeleteFile()

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 03:42:25 EST 2006

[rbt]

| Can someone detail the differences between these two? On
| Windows which is preferred?

Looks like that's been answered elsewhere.

| Also, is it true that win32api.DeleteFile() can remove the 'special'
| files located in the 'special' folders only accessible by the shell
| object such as Temporary Internet Files, etc.

Generally, you want to look at the functions
in the shell module from pywin32 for these.
Specifically, look at

[using: from win32com.shell import shell, shellcon
 because I always forget *which* is the shell module
 I need to import]

shell.SHGetSpecialFolderLocation
shell.SHFileOperation

The former will find the "real" location of various
special-looking folders. The latter will move/copy etc.
through the shell which means, among other things, that
you'll see the "flying folders" animated icon.

TJG