VB to Python migration

Josh josh-post at istedconsulting.com
Mon Jan 30 12:18:03 EST 2006

DH wrote:
> see vb2py to help the conversion
> http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/
> or if you want to convert vb6 to vb.net instead, there are tools from
> microsoft and others to help with that, such as:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10C491A2-FC67-4509-BC10-60C5C039A272&displaylang=en
>

> or if you want to start over from scratch, the other recommendations are
> good, like pyqt and qt designer, or else do it as a web app instead of
> desktop app if it just involves basic form controls.

I have taken a quick look at vb2py, but I'm not sure if that's the way
we want to go. If we do move to Python, we want to take advantage of
features of the Python language, rather than just rewriting a VB app in
Python. It may be a quicker solution in the short term, but in the long
term, I think completely embracing Python from the beginning is the best
way to go.

I tried running the project through the conversion wizard in VB.NET
Express Edition recently just for the fun of it. I come up with 16498
messages at the end of the hour and a half conversion. That's Compile
and Design errors as well as Warnings. It'd take a while to understand
those errors, possibly correcting them in VB6 before trying to do
another conversion, and again, we wouldn't be taking advantage of the
strengths of the new language. Again, a possibility, but not "good"
solution.

The web app functionality is something we also want to be very
accomodating of. We are planning on rewriting in such a way that the
functionality of the screens (input processing, error trapping etc.) is
done is an extensibly manner. That would mean using the same code for
both hardcoded windows as well as web forms.

Thanks,
Josh