Application architecture (long post - sorry)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Jan 6 15:46:45 EST 2006

limeydrink at hotmail.com writes:
> All these web technologies I don't know where to start, have you got
> any suggestions for getting started in the world of web development,
> books maybe ?

Sorry, but I can't recommend books on this. I learned it before the
books existed, so what I learned it from won't help.

Since you're approching this as a programmer, I think it'd be useful
to understand the underlying mechanims. Get a vanilla apache install,
and try writinng a few simple cgi scripts. Do at least one or two
without the cgi module, so you know how the data actually gets to your
program.

With that knowledge in hand, you'll be able to better evaluate the
other solutions. You'll have some understanding of what needs to
happen, and will be able to see how those packages help - or hinder -
your doing it. It may be that what you're doing is straightforward
enough that the cgi module will do the job. Some things don't even
need that, but it doesn't sound like what you have in mind is that
simple. But having done a few things, you'll know enough to decide
that yourself.

     <mike