Application architecture (long post - sorry)

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at diespammerdie.jensen.tdcadsl.dk
Mon Jan 2 19:03:04 EST 2006

<limeydrink at hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:1136122915.782386.189860 at g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> It would give me great satisfaction though to roll my own solution to
> this

Ahh - a bright young employee ready to meet the realities of corporate life,
much like a bike rider meets the concrete he drives on ;-)

> and then at least prove the benefits to the company, even if just
> to convince them to purchase a system from a vendor, and even if that
> happens i will have learnt a lot in the process.

"Company" will not give a rats arse - really, they will not!!

Benefits to *management* is what this game is about; If the implementation
provides "management" with good material for powerpoint slides that they can
use to impress their betters and move up a notch then, obviously, some of
the blessings will shine upon you too - if it causes management grief, then
you will be made to suffer.

"What can the project provide in the way of opportunity to Management?" is
what you should look into. Opportunity for "company" is in an entirely
different stratosfhere. Mere employees shall not try to second-guess the
Gods.

Bragging rights are allways good - but keeping the level of trouble below
the upper layers of management attention level is a *much, much* better
career move.  *I* would certainly go for the primitive, but almost
certain-to-work, Web solution rather than being clever and having to deal
with the weirdness on how f.ex. sockets happen to be implemented on the
mobile device and the 2 year's to obsolensence of the hardware+os (Those
mobile devices *are* in general proprietary and deviant from RFC standards
in unpublished but painful ways).

I would also have some people that knows how to integrate with the existing
Management Information System do it too. Usual business rules apply: ssume
responsibility if it goes well, blame contractors if it does not. That sort
of thing.

... Ignore the "cost issue" - if management think it is worth it to them
they buy the project whatever the actual price or actual benefit - after
all, it is only money for shareholders and tax people they spend anyway!!!
And if they do not, then the work you do not have to do is the easiest.

> Thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated.

Nah - probably not (I am getting too old for this business and I *still*
have 20 years to go ;-)
But in 20 years you will say the same. And whoever you say it to will go
ahead with his own thing anyway.