Calling foreign functions from Python? ctypes?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jan 10 06:07:06 EST 2006

"Delaney, Timothy (Tim)" <tdelaney at avaya.com> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> As the author, I would be happy to see ctypes included with the
>> standard Python build.
>
> I'm sure you know the magical incantation to get that to happen ...
>
> 1. Propose it on python-dev.
>
> 2. Commit to maintain it in the python core (or alternatively, propose
> to use the ElementTree maintenance method).
>
> 3. Get it accepted by Guido.
>
> 4. Do it.
>
> If a library isn't put forward for inclusion by the *author*, it won't
> be included - even if it's obviously best-of-breed. This was the
> sticking point for ElementTree (until the author found out what was
> going on and happily put it forward).

I have done 1.  I commit myself to 2.  I promise to do 3., if someone
convinces Guido to accept it (or whoever has the power to accept it).

This is my response to Martin v. Löwis, who wrote:

> I don't have such a plan. To my knowledge, ctypes has never been
> contributed to Python, either, so its author apparently has no plan,
> either.

It has been proposed to include it in core Python, but Guido didn't
accept it.  The thread starts here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/thread.html#41814

And Guido's last word was this (see the end of the message):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-January/041856.html

Thomas