Try Python update

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Jan 9 00:59:15 EST 2006

aleax at mail.comcast.net (Alex Martelli) writes:
> Meanwhile, other JS/DOM experts have told me that there's NO way to set
> cursor position within a textarea according to w3c standards.  In this
> case, what your site does now may be the "least bad" approach, and that
> fact might be noted in the "browsers" subpage, together with a request
> for anybody who has other ideas to submit them, I guess.

I've done that, and it should show up next time I push the code to the
production server.

> Sorry for wasting your time, I'm still having trouble believing that the
> standards didn't bother to specify SOME way to perform such an
> elementary functionality.

How many pages do you know of that actually want to do this? It may be
fundamental, but it's atypical. I found three different ways to do it
- none of them supported by Safari. Ironically, the browsers that do
support any of those methods all keep the cursor at the end of the
textarea when I add the new text, and so don't need them.

         Thanks,
         <mike